A dental implant is a dental prosthetic that is mainly used as a tooth replacement option. The entire implant consists of a titanium rod that is surgically placed within your jaw and a custom made dental crown that is placed on top of the post to simulate a natural tooth. Dental implants have helped a lot of people with regaining their confidence by restoring their mouths functionality and the aesthetic appeal of there smile.
Listed below are some facts about dental implants to better familiarize yourself with the procedure.
- Dental implants offer the most natural-looking solution compared to other restorative dental options.
- The lifespan of a dental implant far exceeds that of traditional dentures.
- Dental Implants have a 98% success rate
- Even though dental implants need to be cleaned, they will not decay, rot, and can’t get cavities.
- The force of a patients bite that has dental implants is nearly 2000 pounds.
- Out of all dental restoration options, dental implants are the only one that preserves your natural bone by stimulating bone growth
- There are over 3 million people in the united states that have dental implants
- The earliest form of a dental implant has been traced as far back as 600 AD
The Dental Implant Process
Part One – The Dental Implant
Since you will no longer have a root for your missing tooth, your dentist will surgically place a titanium post within the empty socket of your jaw to maintain your bone structure
Part Two – The Abutment
After your post has properly healed and has fused itself to your jawbone, you will then receive an abutment. The abutment is the connecting piece of your implant that is placed on top of your post.
Part Three – The Crown
The final part of the dental implant process is fitting your abutment with a dental crown. The crown is a custom fabricated prosthetic that is made to mimic a natural tooth.
For more information about the dental implant process contact our offices in Schaumburg, Illinois to schedule an appointment with Dr. Patel.